Thank you for your intended participation in the 2020 SPS Annual Meeting. These last few weeks have included sweeping changes on multiple levels for our members and institutions. I hope you are adjusting and finding a new sense of normal that will carry you through the weeks ahead.
As you are well aware, the SPS Executive Committee monitored the developments related to COVID-19 and unanimously voted to cancel the conference in the face of this major public health event. SPS will be extending the following options to our membership regarding conference registration fees.
Donate to General Fund
There are several fixed costs associated with the conference that cannot be refunded to the Society. This leaves the Society financially vulnerable for the upcoming year. As a result, we respectfully request, particularly those who are able, that you consider donating your registration SPS fees as a tax-deductible gift. Should you choose to donate your 2020 Conference Registration fees, you will be acknowledged as an official SPS donor and included in the 2021 Conference Program. If you would like this donation to be anonymous, please indicate this on the refund/donation form.
Before choosing to donate, consider whether your registration was paid personally or from institutional funds.
List of Options
All SPS 2020 registrants have the following options for their conference registration fees:
- Donate your full registration and meal costs to the SPS General Fund as a tax-deductible gift. You will be listed in next year’s conference program as a donor or you can choose to remain anonymous.
- Receive a partial refund and donate a portion of your registration and/or meal costs to the SPS General Fund as a tax-deductible gift. You will be listed in next year’s conference program as a donor or you can choose to remain anonymous.
- Receive a full refund of your 2020 registration and meal costs.
Please use the form at the top of this page to request a refund or to donate. Any registrant who does not indicate a preference by May 1, 2020, will be automatically listed as an anonymous donor and the monies paid will become non-refundable.
Regardless of the option you choose, we greatly appreciate your generous support and patience during this time.
Beginning Tuesday, March 24, 2020, SPS will begin processing refund requests for all SPS 2020 Annual Conference registration fees. Based on current estimates, all refunds will be processed by early May.
- All international registration payments made via credit card will be refunded to the original credit card used in the transaction. Should registration refunds not be available via credit card, these registration payments will be refunded via check. All refunds made by check will be mailed to the address on file. Please make any changes to mailing addresses directly on the refund/donation form.
- All US registration payments will be refunded via check, regardless of the payment format. All refunds made by check will be mailed to the address on file. Please make any changes to mailing addresses directly on the refund/donation form.
- Due to the high volume of refund requests, please allow our staff two weeks to process your refund.
- It is each registrant’s responsibility to request a refund for the registration cost and/or meal costs. The deadline for making this request is May 1, 2020.
- The refund will not begin processing until you have filled out and submitted the linked form above.
SPS cannot refund individuals or institutions for additional expenses related to your planned conference attendance. These expenses include but are not limited to transportation costs such as airline or train tickets and related fees, hotel reservations, or any other expenses.
What Happens Next?
The Executive Committee is actively working with host institutions for planning the 2021 and 2022 Conferences. We will be relaunching the 2020 theme with great anticipation that many of this year’s intended presenters will be able to present their research. More information will be coming from the Interest Group Leaders in the weeks ahead as we finalize conference plans. Both the monthly newsletters and website will also contain updated information as it becomes available.
The Ithiel Clemmons travel funds will be not be distributed this year. The three intended recipients will be prioritized as recipients in 2021, should they choose to apply.
The recipients of 2020 awards will be announced through upcoming SPS newsletters and awards distributed during the 2021 Annual Meeting.
We are grateful for your support and patience during these uncertain days and look forward to a momentous celebration when we meet again in 2021.